Thursday 3 January 2013

Resurrection

After a long hiatus, we're back to some posts - and postcards.
Work begins anew with the 'small book', a black book that features mostly European postcards from the time of World War I.
To modern eyes, it seems a bit strange that they are writing and asking about badges while the monstrosity of the 'Great War' rages around them, but I suppose that was how it was.
Many of these do not have inscriptions, and were never mailed. But to restart, I have found one that was addressed and sent from Paris to England October 19th, 1917 (at 16:45, no less!).




The inscription reads (as best I can tell):

"Dear Miss Russell,
Could you send me a Somerset Light Infantry badge? I do hope it's not troubling you too much in asking you that. How do you like this building. It is the theatre where only operas are played.
[sideways inscription]
Hoping to hear from you both soon Believe me dear Miss Russell yours sincerely Inez Geners*.

(*It's my guess at that last name, the writing needs better eyes than mine to decipher it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment