Saturday 21 January 2012

Georgian Postcards live again

I've started this site to publish images from a collection of postcards I inherited from my grandfather. I remembered loving these as a child, looking at the still bright images from a place so far away, and hearing all about the 'Great War' in which both sides of my family had fought.

I have a whole section of postcards from Belgium and France during World War I, mostly they document the destruction that happened, and the horror of the aftermath. I chose not to start with these, but instead with one I found fascinating. I am hoping to put up at least one, and hopefully two, postcards each day until the entire collection is online. Perhaps they'll be of interest to fellow font-junkies like myself, who love finding period typeface.

There are many like this one: they feature popular symbols for luck, including the swastika. Having been born in a 'anything-with-a-swastika-is-evil' world, it's amazing to see them in their former glory. And also drives home the fact that the symbol itself was chosen for luck. To a small child, this was an interesting history lesson- and one I never forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment