Sunday 29 January 2012

Made in Germany

Even though these postcards have no written in message, I think the reverse is still interesting for the place of manufacture.

Given that these were all mailed during the time of WWI, it is notable that the manufacture was often in Germany...'made at our facility in Bavaria' etc. There are one or two cards that have the place scratched out (in ink, by the sender), as clearly anti-German sentiment would have been running high.

I wonder what happened to the thousands of postcards printed for companies in Germany, like this one, after they were suddenly out of favour?

It's also too bad I can't really adequately post texture, as this is an example of engraved cards. I'd also like a larger version of this for my wall.







No comments:

Post a Comment