Saturday 21 January 2012

Not a postcard, strictly speaking



This was among the collection of postcards. Some things I have provenance for, some are a little murkier. This is written on quite lovely linen paper (why it's survived a war and a hundred years), and reads:
May 15, 1918
Dear All,
Many thanks of letter & parcel that arrived yesterday though I notice that it is the old address. 13 Observation Group, F.S.C. etc. is my latest one. Well this drawing was done in my spare time about 3 weeks ago, and has lately been decorating the dug-out, but my pal would put pints of Creosol on the fire at once, with the result that he fired the roof, then he drowned my possessions. One slingy spot reached this, so I thought I'd let you have it & you can try & solve the puzzle:- Find the man that fell overboard. Let me know if you can; if not I'll tell you the result. Well, the weather has changed to rain, but I'm still in the pink & hope you are.
Remember me to all, and wait for the stuff from London.

aff Lov [affection and love?] RSR

Note: the brown spotches on the letter are the aforementioned Creosol (creosote).

No comments:

Post a Comment